Monday, November 08, 2004

My First Blog

St. Louis is upon me! This will be the third festival BODY ELECTRIC has been selected for and, possibly, the most significant. The St. Louis International Film Festival is an Oscar qualifying festival. Even though BODY ELECTRIC is ineligible for an Oscar nod (it wasn’t released on film) my being a part could attract other festival interest. I’ll be wearing my special filmmaker Kangol just in case. I’ll be posting a report when I return from the weekend.

It seems the Moral Values Brigade isn’t wasting any time. After condemning us to four more years, a town in Wisconsin has hopped on the religious bandwagon.


"GRANTSBURG, Wisconsin (AP) -- School officials have revised the science curriculum to allow the teaching of creationism, prompting an outcry from more than 300 educators who urged that the decision be reversed.

Members of Grantsburg's school board believed that a state law governing the teaching of evolution was too restrictive. The science curriculum "should not be totally inclusive of just one scientific theory," said Joni Burgin, superintendent of the district of 1,000 students in northwest Wisconsin."


Since when did a bible story become science? Clarence Darrow is doing a Tilt A Whirl in his grave. Not to be outdone, the city of Atlanta has added this little disclaimer to science texts today:


"This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered."


If Jesus or Mohammed came back and saw the offences being committed in their names, they’d seriously consider atheism.

To cheer myself up after the continued slaughter of our education system, I went to see THE INCREDIBLES. A different direction for Pixar, this film is much more action driven and all the more mind blowing for it. For fans of THE IRON GIANT, it’s good to see Brad Bird at the helm of another pulp story. He is a perfect match for Pixar since both have been able to craft character enriched stories like the good old days. In fact, genre films in general have been delivering on all fronts for audiences this year. The geeks are the new artists as my in the works Best of 2004 list indicates:

Top Ten:
Spiderman 2
Hellboy
Shaun of the Dead
The Incredibles
Incident At Loch Ness
Sideways
The Motorcycle Diaries
I (Heart) Huckabees
The Grudge
Garden State

Runner Ups:
Dogville
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

That’s all for my first official blog entry. I’m off to do some work on my latest horror piece, CENOTE. I’ll also be posting scenes from my proposes fantasy series TERRARIA so keep checking in.

Oh, yes...and a hearty welcome to Leo Douglas, the 8 lb. 4 oz. addition to the Thesing / Readinger household!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home