Friday, March 30, 2007

Kind Words On My Mario Bavas

On April 3, Anchor Bay will be releasing a box set of Mario Bava movies and, as a stand alone, Bava's last film, Kidnapped. I produced 3 featurettes for the set and already I'm getting word that I did okay.

First came an email from British film critic Alan Jones. Alan is an authority on Italian horror. He's also the man who coined the phrase "Splat Pack" on which our Wyrd documentary is based. This is what he had to say:
Just wanted to say I watched your extras on the Bava box set and Kidnapped. Excellent. It's not often these tell me anything new but I was astonished by Mark Damon saying he directed Pit and the Pendulum. Did he mean second unit? I've never heard that before, or the Clint Eastwood connection to Leone.
Well done, Alan Jones
As I told Alan, actor/producer Mark Damon did indeed say he directed Pit and the Pendulum - a film usually attributed to Roger Corman. I could find nothing to back up this claim, but it was Mr. Damon's soap box. Therefore, I allowed him to say what he wished.

Another kind review came from DVD Savant. This review was kind enough to mention me and fellow producer Perry Martin (the man who turned me into a Bava fan) by name:

Perry Martin and Frank H. Woodward provide a new interview featurette with John Saxon. The actor comes off as personable and charming, qualities that aren't always evident in other Saxon docu appearances. Saxon's account of his Italian experience is interesting and believable; he didn't get along too well with Bava, and remembers that the director was oddly superstitious.
You can read the full review of the Bava box set HERE. I produced two featurettes for the box (one for Black Sabbath, the other for The Girl Who Knew Too Much). Reviews for Kidnapped are pending.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home